Barrier campaign debate after fatal city crash that killed six people
Out of more than 26,000 petition signatures only 8,717 were ‘valid’
A campaign to install speed cameras and safety barriers at the scene of a fatal crash in Birmingham is set to be discussed by city councillors next week.
But relatives of the victims may have to wait a while longer before the measures are debated meaningfully due to the authority’s rules on petitions.
Six people were killed in the three-car collision at Belgrave Middleway, near Edgbaston, which occurred around 1am on December 17.
Father-of-six Imtiaz Mohammed, aged 33, who was driving a taxi died as did his two passengers; sign language interpreter Lucy Davis, 43, and her scientist boyfriend Lee Jenkins, 42.
The other three victims Kasar Jehangir, 25, Tauqeer Hussain, 26 and Mohammed Fahsha, 30, were travelling in an Audi involved in the crash.
A petition was launched calling for Birmingham City Council to install speed cameras and crash barriers on Belgrave Middleway ‘to help save the lives of future motorists on this dangerous stretch of road’.
More than 26,000 people backed the campaign which would normally trigger a full council debate.
But the city council has now stated that only 8,717 of the signatures are ‘valid’ because the rest came from people ‘outside Birmingham’ and ‘around the world’.
It means the matter will instead be put before the council’s Business Management Committee on Tuesday, May 8, but they will only decide if it should be taken further.
A report for the meeting said: “The petition had a number of signatures from people in other parts of the country and a number from around the world which could not be counted as valid.
“It is estimated that there were approximately 26,880 signatures on the petition which would have been over the threshold for consideration at City Council.
“However, as a significant number of those could not be counted, the petition has 8,717 valid signatures which is over the threshold for consideration at this Committee to determine whether it should be debated at an Overview and Scrutiny Committee or City Council or not.”
Edgbaston MP Preet Gill (Labour) has backed the petition.
She said: “It hit the headlines nationally because it was a death before Christmas, just really tragic.
“The level of feeling is really evident in that petition with the amount of people who signed it. A lot of people would not have understood the council processes about being from outside of Birmingham.
“Obviously the families have been in touch wanting updates. I have every sympathy with them.
“It is very distressing for them and they don’t want anybody else to go through what they have had to endure.”
The council previously stated it would be unable to make any decision on the matter until West Midlands Police had completed its own investigation, which a force spokeswoman this morning said was ‘complex’ and still ‘on-going’.
Full inquest hearings into the deaths of the six victims are still scheduled to resume at Birmingham Coroner’s Court on Tuesday, May 29 and Wednesday May 30.