Major step forward for Wisley junction upgrade
Plans for a major upgrade to one of the busiest motorway junctions in the country, near Wisley in Surrey, go on show today (Monday 12 February).
Under the plans, the interchange between the M25 and the A3 will be redesigned to create four dedicated link roads for all drivers making left turns at the junction while drivers turning right will use a new enlarged junction roundabout.
The A3 will also be widened from three lanes to four between Ockham and Painshill in both directions with two lanes remaining over the M25. A new access road providing better, safer access to several local roads and RHS Garden Wisley will be created. The A245 will also be widened near the Painshill junction to accommodate three lanes of traffic leaving and joining the A3.
Two options for the upgrade were initially put to the public last winter before a preferred option was announced in November. Since then, Highways England has been developing the proposals, including detailed discussions with key stakeholders and residents, including RHS Wisley, Painshill Park and others. Now, a six-week consultation on the updated proposals is underway.
Highways England Regional Delivery Director for the South East Chris Welby-Everard said:
“This consultation will help determine the final proposals we end up taking forward for planning permission, so I’d encourage anyone with an interest to get involved and have their say.
“Around 100,000 drivers each day use this busy junction to switch between the M25 and A3, with a further 170,000 drivers passing through the junction daily, often getting caught up in rush hour congestion and tailbacks.
“We have worked hard on developing the plans further since we announced the preferred option last year. As well as making a real difference to peoples’ journeys, we are proposing better, safer access for the local roads that currently turn directly on to the A3 and offering significantly upgraded crossing points for people on foot, by bike or on horseback and making sure we respect the protected environments nearby. This consultation is an excellent chance to help shape our plans.”
This package of improvements will create extra capacity at the junction and the surrounding area and, on opening, will shave up to five minutes off journeys made through the junction during the morning and afternoon peaks.
The M25/A3 interchange is a key congestion pinch point on the strategic road network and has one of the highest recorded collision rates across the Highways England network. The proposed plans will help to reduce delays, make journeys more reliable, ease congestion and improve safety.
Details on the plans and feedback forms will be available online from today until 11:45pm on 26 March 2018 at:http://www.highways.gov.uk/m25j10
Public information events dates and locations
- Friday 16 February, 2pm to 7:30pm, East Horsley Village Hall, East Horsley, KT24 6QT
- Saturday 17 February 10am to 5pm, East Horsley Village Hall, East Horsley, KT24 6QT
- Friday 23 February 12pm to 7:30pm, Cobham Hilton, Cobham, KT11 1EW
- Saturday 24 February 10am to 5pm, Cobham Hilton, Cobham, KT11 1EW
- Friday 2 March 2pm to 7:30pm, Cobham Village Hall, Cobham, KT11 2LU
- Saturday 3rd March 10am to 5pm, Cobham Village Hall, Cobham, KT11 2LU
- Friday 9 March 3:30pm to 8pm, Ripley Village Hall, High Street, Ripley, GU23 6AF
- Saturday 10 March 10am to 5pm, Ripley Village Hall, High Street, Ripley, GU23 6AF
- Friday 16 March 8am to 8pm, Cobham Services, M25
- Friday 23 March 8am to 8pm, Cobham Services, M25
Locations to collect consultation material
The consultation materials will also be available to view from 12 February until 26 March 2018 at the following locations, during their normal hours of opening:
- Guildford Borough Council, Millmead House, Millmead, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 4BB
- Elmbridge Borough Council, Civic Centre, High Street, Esher, Surrey, KT10 9SD
- Surrey County Council, County Hall, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, KT1 2DW
- Cobham Library, The Cedar Centre, Cedar Road, Cobham, Surrey, KT11 2AE
- Horsley Library, Parade Court, Ockham Road South, East Horsley, Surrey, KT24 6QR
- Walton Library, 54 The Heart, Walton on Thames, Surrey, KT12 1GH
- Byfleet Community Library, High Road, Byfleet, Surrey, KT14 7QN
- West Byfleet Library, The Corner, West Byfleet, Surrey, KT14 6NY
- Addlestone Library, Runnymede Civic Centre, Station Road, Addlestone, Surrey, KT15 2AF
- Woking Library, Gloucester Walk, Woking, Surrey, GU21 6EP